Forums » Motorcycle Discussions

Positional Vertigo

• 220 posts
    April 27, 2016 7:25 PM EDT
    Last month, I was having a nasty dream and I turned over hard onto my left side to 'change channels' in my head. BAM! My world started spinning hard, felt my eyes trying to keep up and had to crawl into the toilet to heave. Folks, gotta tell ya... scared me bad.

Took a few hours for it to subside and finally leave. Was it a stroke, an aneurysm or something even more sinister? Hit me again 2 weeks ago, vertigo, world spinning, no balance, panic buttons goin off... Scary crap gotta tell ya!

Hit me again on Sunday, off to the Doc on Monday and was relieved when she told me the diagnosis. "Benign Positional Vertigo" is treatable and there are exercises I can do to train my brain to ignore the signals from my inner ear canals. I was worried that my riding days were over, wouldn't want my world to start spinning while doing 70 mph on the freeway.

Taking my meds, doing my exercises but haven't gotten back on the bike since. Will be cautious and aware of this.

Ride safe my friends.

Edgeman
  • Tim
    • 16 posts
    April 28, 2016 11:35 AM EDT
    Glad to hear nothing to serious man! you stay safe
    • 69 posts
    May 1, 2016 4:26 PM EDT
    I hope you'll be back on the bike soon, but safety first mate. Health is a precious thing, be careful with it.
    • 220 posts
    May 10, 2016 4:26 PM EDT
    Posted this 4-27, it's now 5-10 and have to say that I'm better. The meds helped, the exercises seem to have 'trained my brain' to ignore/understand the signals from my inner ear and I'm have been on several short rides in the last week. Beauty weather, bike's running great and my head seems to have recovered to it's 'normal' abnormal state. "Abnormal; deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying."
    Bwaaahaaahaaa.
    Edge 'OfNormal' Walker
    • 150 posts
    May 10, 2016 6:21 PM EDT
    Had a little something like this a few years ago myself. They called it, Labyrinthitis. Couldn't keep anything down, spinning out of control, all I could do is try to lay still so I wouldn't fall onto the ceiling.

Glad you're doing better and back in the wind Edgeman!
  • Tim
    • 16 posts
    May 12, 2016 4:29 PM EDT
    Good to hear your back to your abnormal self. Enjoy the weather and the ride man.